Produced Local: Herr’s
Stauffers of Kissel Hill supermarket is proud to support fellow local businesses in our community like Herr’s Foods. Herr’s full line of quality snacks consists of over 375 items, including potato chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, cheese curls, popcorn, crackers, nuts, pork rinds, onion rings, and meat snacks.
Headquartered in Nottingham, Pennsylvania, Herr’s Foods began in 1946 when 21-year-old James Stauffer Herr bought a small potato chip company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for $1,750. In 1947, the business moved into a vacated tobacco shed on the Herr family farm. As he learned more about the business, Jim Herr developed new and improved cooking processes and a delicious snack food became even better. As demand for Herr’s Potato Chips grew, so did the company.
In 1949, as the company expanded into new territories, Jim began renting a larger, 3,600- square-foot bakery facility in West Willow, Pennsylvania. The bakery, along with an adjacent house, became workplace and home for Jim and his wife Mim. Two years later, a major fire forced another move to the company’s present site.
With help from family, friends and the bank, the Herr’s purchased 37 acres of land and built a new 4500 square foot plant in Nottingham, PA. Jim equipped the new plant with the company’s first automated cooker, an early example of the company’s commitment to innovation and quality. From the beginning, Jim Herr adhered to his underlying business philosophy of providing quality products at competitive prices and backing them up with honesty and dependable service.
In the late fifties, Herr’s introduced a variety of flavored chips, including Barbecue, Sour Cream and Onion, No-Salt, Old Bay and Salt and Vinegar. The company added a number of other snack foods, including cheese curls, popcorn, pretzels and corn and tortilla chips in the mid-seventies. In 1983, to reflect the company’s expanding product line, Herr’s Potato Chips changed its name to Herr Foods Inc.