Mulching your garden and beds is quite the task, especially choosing the best time to get started on mulching. We say the best time to prepare your home for mulching season is the springtime, between March and May. At Stauffers Home & Garden Stores, a local mulch supplier, we get mulch inquiries all the time. Customers often wonder what type of mulch is best for their yard or how much mulch they need for their home. Take some time to learn more about the mulching options near you to get started.
What Are the Benefits to Mulching Your Yard?
Mulch has a variety of benefits for your yard.
- Mulching helps to keep your garden and flower beds healthy.
- Mulch helps to fight against weed growth, helps plants stay moist, protects against soil erosion, and adds soil nutrients.
- The soil in your yard decomposes over time but mulching helps to improve your soil’s fertility.
Now that you know the benefits of mulching, how do you know which is the best mulch for your yard?
Different Types of Mulch Found at Stauffers
When picking the best type of mulch for your home, you’ll want to consider an economical choice that also compliments your home. At your neighborhood Stauffers of Kissel Hill Home & Garden Centers you will find bagged & bulk mulch options. Here are a few choices of mulch that we offer at Stauffers of Kissel Hill:
- Black Bark Mulch: 100% hardwood bark that is dyed black for long-lasting color all season. Black mulch is a very popular option and is a customer favorite!
- Colored Mulches (Red, Black & Brown): Colored mulches are made of ground-up and recycled hardwoods. Colored mulch is great for those who are looking for an aesthetically pleasing landscape! Perhaps red coordinates with your painted shutters or is a compliment to the color of your garage door. If so, a colored mulch option is right for you!
- Hardwood Mulch: This is the most eco-friendly mulch choice. Hardwood mulch adds nutrients and enriches the soil in your landscape as it breaks down over time.
- Premium Mulch: All-natural mulch is composed of 100% hardwood bark with a rich dark brown coloring. This mulch type helps prevent weeds and retains moisture for your plants. If you’re a heavy gardener, investing in this mulch type is your best option.
Choosing Mulch in Bulk or Bagged Mulch For Your Home
Curious about how much mulch you’ll need for your home? Figuring out the exact square footage of land you’ll need to mulch will help determine whether you need a few bags of mulch or to buy mulch in bulk. At Stauffers, we carry bagged mulch and bulk mulch options! Use our formula, outlined below, to help determine exactly how much mulch you’ll need for your home.
Mulch Calculator Formula
To determine your square footage of land, multiply the length and width of your space. The average step is 2.5 feet in length, so count the steps of the length and width of your yard. Then, use our formula:
- Number of steps x 2.5 = Total Length
- Number of steps x 2.5 = Total Width
- Total Width x Total Length = Square Footage
Interested in receiving a quote for bulk mulching your home? Fill out our form below and a representative will be in contact with you!
South Central PA Mulching Services
If you don’t want to mulch your own lawn, garden or bed, Stauffers can do it for you with our mulching services. Our garden stores deliver over 45,000 scoops of mulch each spring. Are you looking for local mulching services near your home?