The Best Indoor House Plants for Every Room
When cold weather drives you inside, you can still put your green thumb to work by adding different types of indoor plants throughout your home. It’s an easy way to add texture and splashes of color to your bedroom, kitchen, or living room. Here are the best indoor house plants for every room of your home.
Choosing House Plants for the Right Light
When choosing from different types of indoor plants, it’s key to know the amount of light available in each room and select a plant that thrives best in that light.
- Low Light — These areas include shadowy corners, north-facing windows, windows that are shaded by buildings, porches, or drapes, and offices with fluorescent lighting within a few feet of the plants.
- Moderate or Diffused Light — These areas include bright windows partly shaded by sheer curtains, trees, or overhangs, and areas about 4’ – 5’ away from a bright window.
- Bright Indirect Light — This is an area within 3’ of a bright window but not in the line of direct sun.
- Full Sun — This is an area that gets at least four hours of direct sunlight per day with no shading by trees, overhangs, or curtains.
Indoor Plants for Your Bedroom
Plants that are known for their air cleaning properties are ideal indoor bedroom plants because they remove toxins from the air and help you sleep better.
Depending on the location of your bedroom, you may receive low or medium light throughout the day and should choose your plants accordingly. Also, consider the size of your bedroom. If you have a smaller room, avoid indoor plants that commonly grow too wide and choose plants that grow vertically instead.
Examples of air cleaning plants that grow well in medium to low light include:
- Pothos Vine — Hanging plants or climbing vines with variegated leaves.
- Peace Lily — Deep green foliage with white blooms.
- Snake Plant — Compact plants that grow upright, sword-shaped leaves with different colors and patterns.
Indoor Plants for Your Bathroom
Maybe you haven’t thought of adding live indoor plants in your bathroom, but you should! Many varieties of tropical plants are used to the humidity and will thrive in a bathroom setting. However, bathrooms typically have fewer windows and less natural light, so be sure you choose tropical indoor bathroom plants that can grow in diffused light or low light.
The best tropical house plants to turn your bathroom into an oasis include:
- Rattlesnake Plant — Narrow green leaves with bands of contrasting green hues and rose-colored undersides.
- Spider Plants — Hanging plants with arching variegated leaves.
- Anthurium — Glossy green leaves with heart-shaped blooms in red, pink, and white.
Indoor Plants for Your Kitchen
The kitchen is a popular spot for placing indoor plants because your kitchen provides the humidity and warmth that plants love. When arranging kitchen plants, you can add trailing or hanging plants into bare corners or add compact plants into smaller spaces.
Beyond traditional house plants, fresh herb plants like basil, thyme, rosemary, or mint are also popular indoor plant options for your kitchen.
The best indoor house plants to add color and texture to your kitchen are:
- Air Plants — Need no soil to grow and are perfect for displaying in decorative glass containers or hanging pots.
- Succulents or Cacti — Dozens of colors, shapes, and textures to choose from. They can be displayed on window sills, countertops, or shelves.
- Myrtle Topiary — Small topiaries are lovely centerpieces or accent pieces and this variety comes with the bonus of fragrant foliage.
The Perfect Indoor Plants for Your Living Room
Spacious living areas give you the chance to go big and bold with indoor plants. Your living room may feature large windows and receive loads of natural light, so it’s the best place for plants that grow in bright indirect light or full sun.
The best indoor house plants for your living room are spacious and impactful:
- Dracaena Palms — There are many varieties to choose from including:
- Dragon Tree — Multi-stemmed palms with narrow, deep-green leaves.
- Corn Cane — Thick, straight stems with arching, variegated foliage.
- Lemon Lime Dracaena — Chartreuse leaves with gray-green centers and white stripes.
- Monstera Plant — As the name implies, this plant is big! A tropical appearance with multiple stems and large foliage, which can be cut and displayed in a vase.
- Fiddle Leaf Figs — Needs a spot with bright, indirect light and no drafts to grow into its distinctive appearance.
Find Indoor House Plants at Stauffers
Stauffers Home & Garden Stores are the perfect location to shop different indoor plants for every room of your home. Here’s just a small selection of the house plants you’ll find.