Grow Your Own Victory Garden at Home
Gardening provides the perfect escape to everyday life! Specifically, growing your own food presents you with a fantastic opportunity to start a self-sustaining hobby. Now, more than ever, growing your own produce is safe way to keep your family well-fed and healthy. You’ll get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, and exercise. Plus, you can spend more quality time with your kids by immersing them into the wonderful world of agriculture.
Fresh, homegrown fruits, veggies, and herbs are right at your fingertips! So, get outside and start your own Victory Garden today!
What is a Victory Garden?
Also known as War Gardens, Victory Gardens began as a result of food shortages during World War 1 and 2. During this time, the government encouraged citizens to plant fruit, vegetable, and herb gardens at their home to help supplement food rations and indirectly support the war effort. As the national food supply stretched thin, people all across the country started harvesting homegrown produce to feed their families and boost morale.
Nowadays, we see a resurgence in popularity of people growing their own produce for a variety of reasons, including:
- The Economy
- Health Value
- A New Challenge
Victory Starts with a Plan
Have you ever eaten a veggie out of your own garden? There is absolutely nothing like it!
All gardening begins with a plan. The desired site for your garden should have at least 6 hours of direct sunlight a day for a bigger harvest and better taste!. Your soil should be loose for root movement, and it should also be well-drained to prevent root rot. Crops must be spaced properly to prevent overcrowding, which actually leads to less production. Why? The plants compete for the sunlight and water, and there is no room to grow if not spaced properly. Our team can help you make the proper decisions on planting times, harvest dates, and distance between plants which can lead to a successful garden.
What can you plant today? Always do your research before planting and check in with some of resources as to what is best planted in what season. Right now in late Spring, tomatoes, peppers, and berries are the hottest items, and yield bountiful harvests for your family. They are easy to grow, and we have a wide variety to choose from!
We’re Here to Help!
We love to see our customers engaged growing their own produce. Our stores are stocked with essentials for Victory Gardening. We offer a tremendous selection of:
- Vegetables, Small Fruits, and other Edible Plants
- Herbs like Basil, Catnip, Chives, Cilantro, Dill, Fennel, Lavenders, Lemon Grass, Mints, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, and Thyme
- Seeds for Peas, Beans, Corn, Onions, and Potatoes
- Vegetable Plants such as Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Lettuce, Melons, Onions, Peppers (Sweet & Hot!), Squash, Sweet Potatoes, and Tomatoes
- Asparagus, Artichokes, and Rhubarb
- Fruit Plants such as Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, and Figs
- Fruit Trees
- Citrus Plants, including Lemon and Lime
Plus, we offer all gardening supplies to help you start your gardens and keep them looking great!
Some Important Tips:
- Plant in a sunny location. Vegetables need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Plant in good soil. Plants’ roots penetrate soft soil easily, so you need quality garden soil for needed nutrients.
- Space your crops properly per seed packet instructions. Plants set too close together compete for sunlight, water, and nutrition and fail to mature.
- Buy high-quality seeds. A few “extra” cents spent in Spring for that year’s seeds will pay off in higher yields at harvest time.
- A vegetable garden about 16 x 10 can feed a family of four for one Summer.
Your dream Victory Garden can easily become a reality with a little bit of effort and help from Stauffers! Explore all of our Grow Your Own information, and call any of our Home & Garden stores today to place an order for contact-less delivery in the parking lot or at home. Or, reach out to us at www.skh.com/contact/
We’re here for you!